Friday, September 5, 2008

Just for Fun Friday, NOT! Love Bugs

I was running an errand for a friend today and was in old town Katy with Love Bugs swarming all around me. I realized this was going to be a bad season of them. Then tonight as I was sweeping and mopping my kitchen floor, yes, I know it is a Friday night, I found lots of Love Bugs in my house. They are harmless, just extremely annoying and just another Texas bug. Anyway, I know them as Love Bugs and was curious what they were really called. So, here is a little of what I found.


Soon after rainy periods in the spring and especially in the fall in the wooded Upper Coast counties of Texas, "lovebugs ' emerge as adults and mate in swarms around roads and buildings. These insects are actually flies (Diptera) of the family Bibionidae, having the scientific name, Plecia nearctica Hardy. The common name "lovebug" has been given to these black colored, orange-backed flies because they are most often seen flying around in mating pairs.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Interesting - I had no idea they were flies! "Lovebugs" are definitely out in full force this year! Emily has taken to catching them between her two fingers and then showing me (I think this probably something she learned from hanging out a lot with her uncle recently).

Marci said...

I'm ready for lovebug season to be over! Ella flips out whenever they come near no matter how many times I explain that they LOVE everyone and won't hurt her :-). They are EVERYWHERE!

Amber said...

I am still weirded out by them, no matter how many people tell me they won't bother me. I guess I just don't like any bugs (shrug). I understand why everyone calls them love bugs. Trying to explain to a child: "they won't hurt you, they are just Plecia Nearctica Hardy bugs" doesn't really work. hee hee

Karen said...

Gotta love the "love bugs"!