Friday, May 23, 2008

My ACL (anterior cruciate ligamet) knee surgery

Back in November I was playing basketball in the Katy Stake Women's Tournament and wripped my ACL and meniscus in a two places. I didn't realize that is what had happened until January. I heard a big pop and it did hurt, but it gradully got better. Until, I would step or twist or turn the wrong way and it would bring me to the ground in tears and I would have to catch my breath to get up. After that happened a few times I decided to go see a doctor and that's when I found out what I really had done to my knee. We decided that I needed to have surgery, just didn't know when the best time to do that would be. Steve and I were so excited to go on the Pioneer Trek in March and my doctor said I could do it, but how would my knee really do? We had a friend of ours who was a Physical Therapist show me some exercises I could do to strengthen everything around my knee so there would be less chances of it giving out and I guess I did a pretty good job strengthening it along with a few prayers because I had no problems on the trek. I just had surgery May 2 and I was not at all prepared for what was to come. They arthroscopically replaced my ACL with a cadaver's and then repaired my meniscus. So I have one big stitch and 5 little scars. I was suppose to come home the same day but stayed in the hospital overnight because I couldn't keep anything down and felt miserable. I had crutch training the next day after feeling like a really old person walking around with a walker and then eventually made it home. Steve took really good care of me and the kids were OK. It has been 3 weeks now and I have pretended like I couldn't go up the stairs in our house for a little too long, but it has been nice letting my children do most of the upstairs work. I am going to physical therapy twice a week. The first week I couldn't do much. They really focused more on trying to get me to straighten my leg more than bending it. Now they have me on a bike. It gets better everyday. I just have to wear this huge brace for 6 weeks. It is really obnoxiously huge. The sad thing is that I am getting used to it, however, thankful that I am able to repair it and that I will be able to be back to normal. We did have some wonderful help with meals and babysitting during this and am so grateful for everyone's willingness to help.

No comments: