Saturday, August 2, 2008

Self-Portrait Saturday-Some Favorites of My House

I love for things in my house to have a purpose or a meaning. I usually don't just decorate with anything.


This red bench is one of my favorites. I grew up with this bench; however, it was many different colors in my parent's home. It used to be an old church pew and I was lucky enough to get it from my parents. My first intention was to sand it down and stain it. Well, once I sanded it down I realized it needed paint. So, I painted it red and I love it. The pillow on the bench means a lot and it is really cute. My sister-in-law made it for us for Christmas.

BEFORE


AFTER
This table is lucky to still be in our home. It is actually the table that Steve grew up eating on. So there are lots of great family memories there. But it was pretty rickety. I loved it and so made Steve help me sand it down and refinish it. Actually, I helped Steve. But it is beautiful. And I was able to save up enough of my cake money to buy new chairs, the chairs I wanted, for the table. The chairs that were with it were going to be way to much work for us amateurs to try to salvage.

3 comments:

aubs33 said...

I was just blog hopping and found your blog. Just wanted to say you and your family are beautiful! And you have a totally cute blog-and your cakes, wow so amazing. Have a good day~
A

Sarah said...

Wow the table looks great and so different. It definitely reminds me of a lot of family time. Meals, early morning scripture study, family prayer..etc. Glad it's working for you guys.

Melissa said...

I think it's really neat that each of you were able to bring something from your childhood to share with your family! My parents are still using the table we grew up eating on!