Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Valentine's Day Baptism

I have had so many thoughts in my mind and feelings in my heart that I haven't known how to begin writing them down. Now that it's 2 1/2 weeks later, lets see what I remember.

This was another "cry and laugh at the same time" moment. {The first time was when I found out that I was having both Rachel and Matthew, TWINS.}

We had been trying to prepare Rachel & Matthew a while now, well actually 8 years, to make this decision to be baptized, to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to have all their sins washed away, to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, to covenant with their Heavenly Father that they will choose the right, be good examples, share the gospel, help others and when they fail to be able to repent and to ask Heavenly Father for forgiveness or for help.

Wow, that is a lot for an eight year old. However, they stepped up to the plate with lots of questions but with no doubt that they will be blessed and knowing they will someday enjoy the blessing of eternal life.

What a tender, sweet and proud moment this was for me. There were many tears of joy rolling down my cheeks. First, seeing Matthew & Rachel and Steve all dressed in white standing in front of a picture of Christ getting baptized. Second, feeling the spirit as my Dad & Mother-in-law shared there testimonies of the truthfulness of the gospel. Third, watching two of my children enter the waters of baptism. Fourth, hearing Rachel say she feels "different". Fifth, watching a slide show presentation we made of the two of them growing up. Sixth, seeing my husband, my Dad, my Father-in-law, my Brothers and my Brother-in-law standing in a circle, around Rachel and then Matthew, assisting in the confirmation. Seventh, listening to my husband, who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood, give such beautiful blessings. Eighth, feeling the love of all my family and friends who were in attendance that day. I guess "8" is a good number to end on, "8" is great.

This makes me wonder how the next 8 years of their life is going to be. I pray with all my heart that with the many challenges and trials that may come their way, that their faith will keep them standing strong. My heart is full and I am so grateful for all that I have been given. I know that what has happened this day is pleasing to our Heavenly Father and I know he lives. I am so grateful for our Saviors example and I know it is through him that we may be saved.

Thank you Matthew and Rachel for being you. I love you. Mom




Matthew & Rachel with their special baptism cake. I have made a few of these cakes for other people and they had to have one for themselves. This time a did something different. The Bee trails are actually President Hinckley's 9 B's: Be Grateful, Smart, Clean, True, Humble, Prayerful, Still, Positive and Involved. I also put hearts around the side, since it was Valentine's Day.

Grandma & Grandpa Cannon


Grandma & Grandpa Spendlove Uncle Eric, Aunt Mandi, Cailie, Isabelle, Macy & MaxUncle Scott, Aunt Amy, KaDee, Kassity & baby Matthew

Cousin Chris, Emily & Mitchell. I don't know how I didn't get a picture of Uncle Scott & Aunt Kari.
Chris & Emily sang a beautiful song, "When I Am Baptized."
Cute pictures of the girls: Rachel & IsabelleKaDee, Lauren, Kassity
Just thought this was a nice picture of the two Mother-in-laws standing over the cake chit chatting.

One last picture with each special one.


4 comments:

Marci said...

I loved reading that! It sounds like it was amazing and I'm sad I missed it. You must have felt so proud of them :-)!
(the cake is amazing too)

Marti said...

It's so wonderful that you has so many family members there. The pictures are great! I love the one of th mother-in-laws! The cake was awesome! You are so talented.

Sarah said...

What a nice post. I just found it. What a beautiful day it must have been for your family. I love the photos and what a beautiful cake you made. I too remember feeling really good after my baptism, I knew it was right even at age 8. Amazing. Love you guys.

San Diego Spendloves said...

I loved reading this post and the wonderful day it was for your family. I also loved seeing the gobs and gobs of pics of the many events of your family. I want to write more, but Nephi just pulled down a bunch of stuff so, better go.