Friday, May 30, 2008

Our Beautiful Garden

Steve and his "Cool" hat

Ethan and Matthew planting red onions

Rachel and her Tomato Plant

These are the before pictures

Picking Green Beans and a Pepper

Our Beautiful Garden

Rachel with some delicious Green Beans & a Pepper




One of Steve's hobbies is planting our self reliant garden. Not only is it a hobby (a talent he learned from his dad) and a means of fresh produce, but it's main purpose was to help our children understand where all this yummy food comes from, (when Ethan was little he said carrots came from rabbits, that's when we started our first garden) AND to learn how to work. We planted corn, green beans, strawberries, red onions, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, peppers and lots of herbs.

Although, they might never know how it really is to harvest a garden, I grew up with a garden 15x this size that I "got" to learn how to work in, they are enjoying watching it grow and are still working on enjoying eating it.

Rachel walks out to it every day to see how her tomato plant is doing. It has 6 tomatos on it now. We have had a few Sunday meals with fresh green beans already harvested from our garden. Steve and the kids have done a great job and it looks beautiful.

7 comments:

Marci said...

I'll have to get some gardening tips from you guys! I have been quite an unsuccessful gardener in Houston so far and there is nothing like home grown veggies!

Louise said...

What a great looking garden. You've done a great job Stephen. Especially teaching your children how to garden and enjoy the food they grow. We have two little tomatoe plants, but they are producing.

Karen said...

That is so great! I will have to come to you for advice when I decide to plant.

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

Can I come take lessons??? :)

Anonymous said...

Love it! Our garden isn't doing too hot this year...
Add me to your blog
http://longobongo.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Looking good! I finally introduced you on my blog and added you to my blogroll. Yipee!

Val said...

I just linked from Laurie's blog. I was just talking to my friend in my ward about how hard it is to have a garden in Texas. Your garden is great! What kind of wood did you use to make it friendly for the food? I so want to do a raised garden.