Sunday, June 7, 2009

2009 Triathlon #1

Kiwanis Kids is affiliated with USATriathlon and every summer they have a Triathlon series for kids, usually held at different YMCA's or schools.
#62 Matthew Cannon Spendlove


(swim 50M, bike 1 mile and run 1/4 mile)


#64 Ethan Paul Spendlove


(swim 100M, bike 2 mile and run 1/2 mile)



This is Matthew's first race. These are the 7&8 year old boys getting ready to hop in the water.

Matthew lead the swim and did a great job in transition. Check out his little concentrating tongue. He had a little trouble with the gears on his bike, so he was peddling much faster than he should have been. But still did so well. Matthew on the Winner's Podium with his 2nd Place Trophy

Matthew almost worked too hard to finish this race in the top. He could barely breath as he practically walked across the finish line. I had his puffer right there, but had no idea I would have to use it. Matthew runs 50 miles a day, it feels like. I think all the excitement he had to do this race played a big part in it.

The proud parents waiting for #64 to take his place.
The boy's cutest little #1 fans!


Ethan in heat 2 waiting for his turn. He is 4th from the right.

Ethan speeding through transition.

And off he goes!

Ethan likes the biking.

Matthew & Rachel cheering Ethan to the finish line where he booked it in double time.

Just wanted to post this picture to show how tall some of the boys were that Ethan competed against. He is in the 11 & 12 year old group because he will be 11 by December 31 of this year. So he was probably the youngest one and is standing 4th from the left with his cap on.

Matthew:2nd Place, 9:14 time, 12 boys

Ethan: 7th Place, 13.29 time, 23 boys

Matthew looking pretty cool.
He would look really tough, without the blue Gatorade mustache.
It was a fun day for all of us. We are proud of the boys for making such a great effort. We know it was a great accomplishment to finish. Now Rachel said she wants try it next.

3 comments:

Louise said...

Congratulations Matthew and Ethan!
You are awesome. You both did fantastic. I'm sure proud of you.
Love Grandma

Marci said...

I'm so impressed they do these triathalons! And I can't believe how tall the first kid is in that last picture!

Sarah said...

Way to go Ethan and Matthew! I think that is so cool that they've already done a triathalon at their ages. I used to want to do one, this motivates me to get in shape and do it. Great photos too!