Friday, December 18, 2009

Goin' Back to Cali

I am writing this a little more than 2 years later. I haven't come to accept the fact that I lost the memory card that has all of our farewell pictures. Good-byes to our friends, to our home and our limo and airplane ride to our new home in Bakersfield California.

Weeks prior to our move we had been packing and gradually saying our goodbyes. I was blessed to be able to have lunch with some of my dearest friends that I have missed. Lori Adelman, Emily Jones, Ashley Savoie, Cathy Turner, Carolyn Pack, Amber Brunson, Elsa Berkoski and Jennifer Tuckett. (which I had pictures of)  {sigh} But like everywhere I have lived I have been blessed with good friends and neighbors that have touched my life for good and that I have learned so much from.

The kids were each able to have their going away parties, except for Matthew. Darn it, he lost that privilege by making some wrong choices.

Steve was able to say his good-byes at his surprise 40th birthday party.

And then we all said our good-byes to our home of 5 years, many wonderful memories here and the only home Lauren knows, as we watched the movers pack up all our belongings into a ginormous truck. The movers even gave the kids a ride in the cab of the truck before they took off. There are pictures of this too somewhere. {sad face} We were able to go out to dinner at Fuddruckers with our dear neighbors, the Tucketts, before they dropped us off at our hotel for our last night in Katy, Texas. There were tears shed, especially between Isabel and Rachel who have been best friends since they were about 3 years old, for about 5 years now. I had pictures of this too. {teary eyed}

Steve had a little surprise of his own up his sleeve as he arranged for a limousine to pick us up to take us to the airport. I had some great pictures of them rockin out on the slippery leather seats of this long black and white limo. The airplane flight was also fun. This was Lauren's first time to fly and the twins first time they remember and still no pictures.

Our home in Bakersfield wasn't finished yet so we stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for almost a month. However, part of that time was Christmas vacation which we spent in Santa Paula, so transition wasn't too bad.

And that is all there is to our big move. One of the biggest moments in our lives and not a single picture to show it.  I should be used to this as I also lost the first 4 months of the twins that we had on video. (we recorded their first Easter over it) Ok, I am moving on now.

No comments: